The Portuguese Polar Program flights linking Punta Arenas (Chile) and King George Island in Antarctica took place in the 13 February with about 24h delay due to poor weather at the Teniente Marsh Airfield. The PROPOLAR flights are a contribution to the international logistics in the Antarctic Peninsula and this year supported a total of 62 scientists and technicians from PROPOLAR and six other partner programs. The Portuguese Antarctic campaign has 10 projects in the field, with 20 scientists. PROPOLAR is funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia and the logistical operator is IGOT, member of the College Polar2E-ULISBOA.
Polar2E – The University of Lisbon College on Polar and Extreme Environments opens a call for expressions of interest for PhD graduates to apply for the FCT Individual Call to Scientific Employment Stimulus – 3rd Edition. Polar2E is the new interdisciplinary College ULISBOA, joining the Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning, the Faculty of Sciences and the IST-Técnico, with researchers from several research centres from the University of Lisbon.
We are accepting applications on Polar and/or Extreme Environment research under the following Polar2E Strategical Areas:
– Biogeochemistry of extreme environments (Coord: João Canário, email@example.com),
– Changes in Polar marine ecosystems (Coord: Vanda Brotas, firstname.lastname@example.org)
– Climate modelling (Coord: Emanuel Dutra, email@example.com),
– Cryosphere / Permafrost (Coord.: Gonçalo Vieira, firstname.lastname@example.org),
– Polar and extreme ecosystems (Coord: Cristina Branquinho, email@example.com),
– Remote sensing (Coord: firstname.lastname@example.org),
– Space environment (Coord.: Paulo Gil, email@example.com).
– Sustainable architecture in extreme environments (Coord: Manuel Guedes, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Other topics may be accepted, if within the scope of Polar2E.
The applications will be pre-evaluated by the research centres of Polar2E for assessing the possibilities for support and integration as host institution (deadline: 14 February). Then, the candidates should submit the application to the FCT Call following the guidelines available at https://www.fct.pt/apoios/contratacaodoutorados/empregocientifico/ceec_ind_3.phtml.en (deadline: 26 February).
For the evaluation at Polar2E, candidates should submit: 1) a short cv with key publications, 2) a summary of the research plan (max 5,000 characters) and 3) a motivation letter, indicating the reference level to which is applying (Junior, Assistant, Principal or Coordinating Researcher).
Applications for pre-evaluation by Polar2E should be submitted to the coordinator of each Strategical Area, with cc to email@example.com until 14 February 2020. Please read carefully the FCT call at https://www.fct.pt/apoios/contratacaodoutorados/empregocientifico/ceec_ind_3.phtml.en before applying.