Polar2E – The University of Lisbon College on Polar and Extreme Environments opens a call for expressions of interest for PhD grants targetting at the FCT Call for PhD Grants 2020 (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/concursos/individuais2020.phtml.pt). Polar2E is the new interdisciplinary College of ULISBOA, joining the Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning, the Faculty of Sciences and the IST-Técnico, with researchers from several research centres from the University of Lisbon.
PhD Application & Enrolment
In order to apply for a FCT scholarship framed within Polar2E, it is necessary to have a project idea. To search for opportunities based on your own research idea, you first need to identify a Strategical Area at Polar2E whose objectives best match your idea. If you find it, you should contact the coordinator, which will direct you to a potential supervisor. You will then need to discuss your research ideas with him/her before you apply for a FCT scholarship.
Candidates to apply to the FCT call under the framework of Polar2E will be pre-selected by a committee, considering 3 main criteria:
1) Academic CV
2) Motivation letter
3) Personal interview
What is essential to include in your CV and application
Applications may be sent via e-mail to the Strategical Area Coordinator until 28 february 2020 with: (1) The CV, which must include final marks in degrees completed, a list of marks in individual courses and a list of publications if they exist, as well as a scan of all the diplomas + certificates; (2) The motivation letter, which must indicate the preferred area of work; (3) Abstract of the PhD research idea to be developed. The committee will interview a selected number of candidates.
Note that Academic degrees awarded by non-Portuguese institutions will only be accepted if recognized by the Portuguese Government, through the “Direção Geral do Ensino Superior”, or by any Portuguese Public University, according with applicable laws, namely Decree-Law 341/2007, 12th October, and Decree-Law 283/83, 21 June.
Current Strategical Areas within the College Polar2E ULisboa
– Biogeochemistry of extreme environments (Coord: João Canário, email@example.com),
– Changes in Polar marine ecosystems (Coord: Vanda Brotas, firstname.lastname@example.org)
– Climate modelling (Coord: Emanuel Dutra, email@example.com),
– Cryosphere / Permafrost (Coord.: Gonçalo Vieira, firstname.lastname@example.org),
– Polar and extreme ecosystems (Coord: Cristina Branquinho, email@example.com),
– Remote sensing (Coord: firstname.lastname@example.org),
– Space environment (Coord.: Paulo Gil, email@example.com).
– Sustainable architecture in extreme environments (Coord: Manuel Guedes, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Other topics may be accepted, if within the scope of Polar2E.
Besides the Strategical Areas in the framework of which you may propose PhD topics, below you will find offers for themes of specific interest in the current call:
- Ecology of ecosystems under extreme environmental conditions such as drylands (Supervisors: Cristina Branquinho – email@example.com and Alice Nunes).